You know that spring is in full effect and that summer is approaching when you see asparagus at your farmer’s market or local CSA.
Recently, our executive director Thom England was featured on “In The Kitchen” at the City Market where he presented Asparagus and Morel Bread Pudding.
Yes, you read right. Read on.
“Asparagus possesses a very definite flavor and combining it with morels takes it to the next level,” said Chef Thom, “it’s the diversification of foods we are accustomed with into new and unexpected recipes that gets me excited.”
Well, we know what we’ll be cooking this weekend. How about you? Are you going to try Chef Thom’s recipe at home? Let us know how it turns out and we’ll feature you in a follow up blog post.
3 cups fresh milk
1 cup chopped green onions, green and white parts
1 loaf toasted multigrain bread
1 lb. fresh morels, cleaned and chopped
Kosher Salt and ground black pepper, to taste
1 Tbsp. chopped fresh basil leaves
1 tsp. chopped fresh oregano leaves
3 cups grated Swiss cheese
1. Add onions to milk in sauce pan and bring to a boil, set aside to steep.
2. Brake loaf into crouton sized crumbs. Pour milk over crumbs and allow bread to soak.
3. Chop asparagus into ½ inch pieces and simmer in pot full of boiling water until bright green, about 1 minute.
4. Melt butter in skillet, cook mushrooms in butter until tender, add spices and set aside.
5. Break eggs and beat until smooth, add herbs and plenty of salt and pepper.
6. To the eggs, add bread crumbs with remaining milk, asparagus and mushrooms with their juices Along with, 2/3 (1 cup) of the cheese. Mix thoroughly.
7. Pour into a greased, 8×12 pan, sprinkle remaining cheese on top and bake at 350 degrees F for about 45 minutes (until puffy and golden).
8. Allow to rest for 5 minutes before slicing.