As we begin the new year with ice, cold, and snow, we’re reminded that a lot of food will not grow outside of the proper season, but a goal of our #INSeason campaign is to show you what you CAN eat from Indiana even in the coldest of months. This month we are featuring beef as our ingredient of the month. One way to support Indiana producers is to buy as much local meat as you can during the winter, and Moody’s Butcher Shop provides one great option to do just that. Check out the bio of founder Adam Moody below:
A lifelong resident and farmer in Montgomery County Indiana, Adam founded Moody Meats in 2000. The business has grown to 30 employees divided among the six locations of the farm, processing plant, and four satellite retail shops in the Indianapolis area. Moody Meats also services wholesale accounts including Wabash College, DePauw University, Trine University, Scotty’s Brew House, and Three Wise Men Brewery restaurants.
his professional and personal passion being well rooted in sustainable farming and rural development Adam currently is involved with Indian State University Rural and Urban Entrepreneurial Development Initiative, co-chairs the Value added retail Ag committee at the Indiana Farm Bureau, sits on the board of Durham Home Inc. in Crawfordsville, the board of Sustainable Initiative Indiana and is a valued advisor to the Lt Governor Sue Ellspermann and the Indiana State Department of Agriculture.
He and his wife of 33 Lucy years wake up on the farm everyday. He is also an accomplished guitarist, singer and drummer.
Here are some other interesting things Adam shared with us about his life and business:
- I was also awarded the Agri-Vision award by Lt. Governor Ellspermann in August of this year for my work in local food systems involving Moody Meats and Husk Foods.
- I live within a mile of where I was born.
- We raise the beef on our farm with Non GMO ground ear corn, grass and sea kelp.
- We haven’t had a vet on our farm in 16 years.
- The products in our shops and wholesale accounts also include beef from other farms in the West Central Indiana area.
- We buy from no farms that use hormones or antibiotics in their feed regiments and the cattle are grass and grain fed.
- Most of our beef products are truely dry aged, blocked into primal cuts at our own State inspected slaughter facility and delivered to our 4 retail shops in Avon, Center Grove, Zionsville, and Geist where our cutters set a fresh retail meat case with local, grass fed, dry aged beef cut to the individual customers desires.
- My favorite cut is the chuck eye steak ( a highly underrated cut of beef).
- Poundage wise the most we sell is ground beef. (Nearly a ton a week. )